Who needs a Proof of Service of Summons?
This form is used by a person who services the summons for a third person. This person completes the form after the required court documents are delivered to the parties. Due to the California Rules of Court, before filing any document with the court, you have to deliver one copy of this document to each party in the case
What is the Proof of Service of Summons for?
This form certifies that the summons was delivered to the parties of the case in accordance with all the rules. In case any disputes arise, this proof contains all information about the person who has served the summons and the way it was done.
What documents must be accompanied by the Proof of Service of Summons?
This form must be attached to each document you file with the court.
How long does it take to fill the Proof of Service out?
It won’t take a lot of time to fill out the form. The server has just to copy the information from the documents he serves to the form.
What information should be provided in the Proof of Service?
The server must add the following information:
- Information about the party of the case or his/her attorney
- Address of the superior court in California
- Name of the petitioner and respondent
- Confirmation that the server is at least 18 years old he/she is not the party in the case
- Which documents he/she serves
- Address where the party was served
- Way of serving (by personal service or by substituted service
- His/her personal information (name, address, telephone number, the fee).
When the documents are served, give the party the original completed Proof of service of Summons.
Where do I send the Proof of Service of Summons?
This form is given to each party to the case together with the required documents. The server should also make one copy of the proof for his personal records.